Plan My Trip
One of the major tourist attractions in Goa are Churches. Goan churches are famous for their interesting architecture usually a blend of two or more forms. These institutions of religion played a major role in inclining people initially towards Christianity. And today with a significant Christian population, the churches are important in Goa's religious, cultural and social fabric.
Chapel of St. Catherine
Next to the famous Church of St. Francis of Assisi stands the Chapel of St.Catherine. The original structure was built by Afonso de Albuquerque to mark his victory of November 24,1510. Originally it was a thatched structure which was later replaced and a new altar was placed in 1550. The features are distinctly Renaissance. A three storeyed facade is flanked by square towers. The chapel was restored in 1951, the vault and sacristy of the church made again using the same material.
Church of Reis Magos
This was the first church built by Franciscans in Bardez. It was built inside the Reis magos fort to serve as a garrison for the military. In the main altar is a tableau of three magi paying respect to infant Jesus. The church is located across the Mandovi bridge in Varem.
Church of Holy Spirit
This church was built on a site wher earlier a temple stood. It was razed by Jesuit Friar Antonio de Quadros and in its place was built Church of Holy Spirit in 1565. However the church was destroyed during Muslim invasion but nonetheless it was built again and that too several times. The interiors of the church are designed in true Indo-Baroque style, its spacious and simply wonderful which makes church all the more dignified. The facade is flanked by towers which are surmounted by cupolas and domes resembling a lot like the the Basilica of Bom Jesus.
Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception
It is considered the landmark church of Panjim. Built in 1619, the Baroque facade of the church is flanked by two towers on either side.
Some of the more famous features of the church are its Gothic style stairs which are quite majestic. These were added in 1871 along with a central pediment which was topped by a huge bell (second largest in Goa). Also exceptionally beautiful is the church's main altar.